Answers for Grammar Unit IV - Communicative English

 

center;">Answer - Unit IV Grammar in Context:

PRESENT PERFECT TENSE

A) Write a suitable sentence using the PRESENT PERFECT TENSE:

1. Ann’s hair was dirty. Now it’s clean. (wash) ……... Ann has washed her hair…………

2. Tom was 80 kg. Now he’s 70. (lose weight) Tom has lost his weight

3. Bill played football yesterday. Now he can’t walk; his leg is in plaster. (break) Bill has broken his leg by playing football

4. My sister is looking for her pen. (lose) My sister has lost her pen.

5. Mary is on holiday in France. (go) Mary has gone to France.

6. Mr. Hill was in Canada last week. He’s back in London now. (be) Mr. Hills has been in Canada Last week.

7. Look! Mrs. Smith has got a lot of packages. (buy) Mrs. Smith has bought a lot of packages.

 8. I can’t eat anything now. (eat too much) I have eaten too much.

9. Mrs. Jenkins is very tired. (clean / house) Mr. Jerkins has cleaned the house .

10. Tony needs a holiday. (work / hard / this year). Tony has worked hard this year.

B) Use PRESENT PERFECT TENSE after BECAUSE:

Example: She can’t go to the party. (catch a cold) She can’t go to the party because she has caught a cold.

1.He can’t walk very fast. (hurt / leg)

He can’t walk very fast because he has hurt his leg.

2. I can’t get in. (lose / key)

I can’t get in because I have lost my key.

3. I know this story very well. (see the film)

I know this story because I have seen the film.

4. I can’t post the letter. (not put / stamp / on it)

I can't post the letter because I have not put a stamp on it.

5. He can’t stand up. (eat too much)

He can’t stand up because he has eaten too much.

6. They can’t go on holiday. (not save / money)

They can’t go on holiday because they have not saved money.

7. I know him. (meet him before)

I know him because I have met him before.

8. We don’t know how he is. (not hear from him)

We don’t know how he is because we have not heard from him.

9.He won’t take a cigarette. (give up smoking)

He won’t take a cigarette because he has given up smoking.

10. She can’t get in. (he / lock the door)

She can’t get in because he has locked the door.

C) Follow the example and do the same using ALREADY:

Example: Bring the milk in, please. - I have ALREADY brought it in.

 1. You must find the tickets soon. I have already found the tickets.

 2. Turn the radio down, please. I have already turned down the radio.

3. Tidy your room. I have already tidied my room.

4. Could you post the letters, please? I have already posted the letters.

5. Why don’t you see a doctor? I have already seen a doctor

6. You have a bad cough. I think you should stop smoking. I have already stopped smoking.

 7. Why don’t you clean your shoes? I have already cleaned my shoes.

8. Brush your teeth, will you? I have already brushed my teeth.

9. We have guests today. Shall we make a cake?  I have already made a cake.

10. We should invite Mary to the party. I have already invited Mary to the party.

D) Follow the example and do the same using YET:

Example: She has been in the shop. (buy anything) - She has been in the shop but she hasn’t bought anything YET.

1. I’ve written to them three times. (not reply) 

I ‘ve written to them three times but I haven’t them yet.

2. I’ve asked you again and again. (not do it)

I ‘ve asked you again and again but I haven’t done it yet.

3. I lent him $10 last month. (not give it back)

I lent him $10 last month but I have not given it back yet.

 4. He lost his pen a week ago. (not find it)

He lost his pen a week ago but he has not given it back yet.

5. He borrowed my book last year. (not give it back)

He borrowed my book last year but he has not given it back yet.

6. She went to New York six months ago. (not return it)

She went to New York six months ago but she has not returned yet.

7. She gave me $2 a week ago. (not return it)

She gave me $2 a week ago and she has not returned it yet.

8. I finished reading my library books a long time ago. (not change them)

I finished reading my library books a long time ago but I have not changed them yet.

9. She went to the bus-stop half an hour ago. ( the bus /not come)

She went to the bus-stop half an hour ago but the bus has not come yet.

 10. He’s still studying that lesson. (not learn it)

He's still studying that lesson but she has not learned it yet.

D) Fill in the blanks with ALREADY or YET:

 1. He hasn’t called us yet .

2. They have already sent the letter.

3. John has already bought the tickets for the football match.

4. We have already been to Mexico three times.

 5. You haven’t visited Tokyo yet .

6. Has John bought a new car yet ?

7. The plane has already  left.

8. Has she done it yet ? No, not yet .

9. A: Haven’t they arrived yet ? B: Oh, yes. They have already arrived.

10. Hurry up! The class has already started.

11. Be careful! They have already painted the door.

12. Haven’t you read the book yet?

E) Follow the example and do the same using JUST:

Example: he / go out - What has he JUST done? - He has JUST gone out.

1. She / leave the room

2. they / watch the news

They have just watched the news.

3. I / finish homework

I have just finished the home work.

4. he / put on the jacket

He has just put on the jacket.

5. she / catch a fish

She has just caught a fish.

6. he / call a taxi

He has just called a taxi.

7. you / write a letter

You have just written a letter.

F) Put the verbs in the correct tense. Use the SIMPLE PAST or the PRESENT PERFECT:

1.  Tim has finished (finish) his work yet?

2. They have just gone (just / go) out.

3. Have you sent (send) the letters yet?

4. They have not seen (not / see) the film yet.

 5. The train has just arrived (just / arrive).

 6. Have you ever been (ever / be) in a TV studio?

7. I have lost (lose) my dictionary. I can’t find it anywhere.

8. My bicycle isn’t here. Somebody has taken (take) it.

Rewrite the following sentences twice, using SINCE and FOR:

Example: I haven’t seen you. (Christmas / 3 days)

 a) I haven’t seen you SINCE Christmas.

 b) I haven’t seen you FOR 3 days.

 1. We’ve been here. (an hour / 4 o’clock)

 a) We ‘ve been here for an hour

 b) we've been here since 4’o clock.

 2. She hasn’t spoken to me. (2 weeks / last / last week)

a) She hasn’t spoken to me for 2 weeks.

b) she hasn’t spoken to me since last week.

3. They’ve lived in this street. (1970 / a long time)

 a) They've lived in this street since 1970

b) They've lived in this street for a long time.

4. I haven’t had time to do it. (last Monday / a few days)

a) I haven’t had time to do it since last Monday.

b) I haven’t had time to do it for a few days.

5. We haven’t bought a new one. (ages / many years)

 a) We haven’t bought a new one since ages.

 b) We haven’t bought a new one for many years.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summary for the Play Strife by John Galsworthy

Like an Old Proud King in a Parable A. J.M. Smith, Summary for BA Students.

SUMMARY OF THE ECSTASY OF RITA JOE